Fanny packs make a comeback from behind.
Popular in the ’80s and much maligned since then as patently uncool—the practical accessory long favored by tourists and dorky dads—the fanny pack has made a fashionable comeback. You can spot it hanging crossbody on lithe models strutting on the runways in Milan and New York. Celebrities, college students, cool girls and ski area lifties have all been spotted with them. Modern iterations—dubbed hip backs, belt bags or waist packs—either tap their ’80s roots with neon nylon or get elevated with materials like handcrafted leather.
Herschel Supply Co., $25
1. Brunello Cucinelli Drawing on classic military styling, this Italian-made belt bag has front pockets with magnetic snaps and flaps and nickel-free zips. The soft slightly polished nappa leather and suede leather interior add a sophisticated feminine touch. It can be worn over the shoulder or around the hips with its grosgrain belt. Glossy soft nappa leather military belt bag, $2,195, 508 E. Cooper Ave., brunellocucinelli.com
2. Campomaggi This luxurious handmade fanny pack with double zip is crafted from a tumbled and distressed cowhide leather with a cotton lining. The hallmark of Campomaggi’s artisanal collection of bags is its timeless weathered look. This elegant new waist pack is designed to also be worn crossbody. Zip waist pack, $365, Pitkin County Dry Goods, 520 E. Cooper Ave., pitkincountydrygoods.com; campomaggi.com
3. Cotopaxi The Filipino workers who craft this hip hugger from remnant nylon fabric have creative license over each piece, from the color combos to the thread choice. The result: Every bag is one-of-a-kind. Named for a city in the Philippines, the Bataan keeps the essentials secure and organized within internal mesh pockets. Bataan 3L Del Día fanny pack, $30, Ute Mountaineer, 210 S. Galena St., utemountaineer.com; cotopaxi.com
4. Dakine This hip pack is a perfect functional accessory for touring around town or going inverted in the halfpipe. Dual zippered compartments keep keys, phone and money clip secure (the upper pocket is fleece-lined for delicate items). The Rincon fabric shown here is a lightweight polyester ripstop with a water-repellent finish. Classic hip pack in black and white, $24, Aspen Shop, 555 E. Durant Ave., aspensnowmass.com/aspenshop; dakine.com
5. Herschel Supply Co.
Simple and hip, this has the brand’s signature striped fabric liner, a pebbled leather zipper pull, and clip-fastened waist belt. Herschel’s classic woven label embellishes the front. Here in Aspen, you’ll find it in black, brushstroke camo, pink lady and crosshatch raven. Fourteen hip pack, $25, Aspen Shop, 555 E. Durant Ave., aspensnowmass.com/aspenshop; herschel.com
6. Louis Vuitton The iconic French fashion house elevates the classic fanny pack with this quilted calf leather piece. Vintage gold LV hardware adorns the bag, and a multicolored brand signature on the zipper pull adds some whimsy. The adjustable strap offers versatile carry: Drape it crossbody, or wear it high or low as a belt bag. New wave bumbag in white, $1,820, 205 S. Mill St., louisvuitton.com
7. Moncler With the Felicie, Moncler brings a sense of modern style and refinement to the pedestrian fanny pack. Crafted from nylon drill fabric and leather trim, this roomy bag features front and back zippered pockets and an adjustable belt adorned with a metal-on-leather Moncler logo. Choose a floral print or solid red or black. Felicie in red, $465, 432 E. Hyman Ave., moncler.com
Photography by: Courtesy of Brands